i learned this at a cooking resort in Sg Penchala. i've misplaced the original recipe but will upload it as soon as i find it.
this is one delicious salad and i think can be changed into fresh spring rolls.
A. grilled chicken
1 chicken leg deboned
1 stalk lemon grass
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp oil (i used olive oil)
1 tbsp fish sauce
B. salad dressing
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 red cilipadi finely chopped (add if u want it hotter)
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp water
1.5 tbsp brown sugar
meehoon (my mom suggested soohoon would be good too)
1/2 carrot shredded
1/2 japanese cucumber shredded
a little bit of mint leaves - chopped/shredded
1 cup beansprouts (raw)
1 cup of shredded lettuce
1/4 cup coriander leaves (whole or roughly chopped)
1. pat chicken dry, put in plastic bag & pound to flatten evenly.
2. prick a few places with tip of knife.
3. combine lemon grass, garlic, sugar, oil & fish sauce - blend into fine paste.
4. marinade chicken for at least 15mins.
5. cook on grill or fry in frying pan till cooked through (i did mine till abit crispy at the edges)
6. remove to a plate & cooled before cutting into 1cm slices. set aside.
7. combine salad dressing in a bowl & stir till sugar dissolves. set aside.
8. blanch meehoon or soohoon till tender but not mushy or 'al dente', drain & run under cold water & chill in fridge for a while before serving. (this is a cold salad)
9. get the salad ready.
10. to serve:
place a portion of meehoon/soohoon in individual bowls, top with the shredded carrots, lettuce, mint, cucumber, beansprouts. top with a few chicken pieces & coriander leaves. drizzle with just enough dressing to moisten the salad, toss all together & eat immediately. use chopsticks